This week, I’ve been experimenting with different sourdough starters and that has left me with a LOT of extra starter (discard) to do something with.
The jar of discard sat on my counter all morning, until I saw a jar of freeze-dried bananas and I knew what I was going to try making.
Recently, I picked up a baking pan for 24 muffins/cupcakes at a second hand store and I had yet to use it. Today was the perfect day.
I adapted my recipe for banana bread (that has been passed down to me, from neighbour to mother, to me).
I had no idea if this would work as muffins or with the sourdough discard but - why not.
Mix (I used my KitchenAid stand mixer):
Continue mixing, adding in:
- .5 c butter
- 3 mashed bananas (I used a pint of freeze-dried bananas, that I blended to a powder)
- 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp milk (I used that amount of water and of freeze-dried milk powder)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I didn’t have much left so I added in some maple flavouring as well)
Now for the flour: (recipe calls for 1.5 c flour)
- 1.5 c sourdough discard (emptying the jar)
- 1 c all-purpose flour (I used the Daily Grind flour from 1847.ca)
I scooped the batter into paper liners and baked them in my new tray, in a 350F oven for 20 minutes.
I, then, “taste-tested” three, just to make sure that they tasted ok.
Into the recipe book this goes,